I’ve been working on a good healthier version of nacho cheese sauce. I have hit the jack pot with this version of this nacho sauce. I use cashews as the cream instead of the hormone regular kind and I use almond milk instead as well. I would use all-natural raw version of milk but I don’t have access to raw milk, so using alternative ingredients works better. I did find raw cheddar cheese which I love and use that for a cheesier taste. Adjust seasonings to your liking. Enjoy! :O)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons jalapeno minced
- 1 garlic, minced
- 1 small tomato, chopped or minced (your preference)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons gluten free flour
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked before hand)
- ½ cup bone broth or other broth
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon, juiced
- 1 overflowing cup raw cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour ½ cup of cashews into a container and add water and allow to soak 1-2 hours or up to over night.
- Put one cup of almond milk and the lemon juice in a bowl and allow to sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Mince the onion, jalapeno, garlic, and tomatoes using cheese grater. Set aside.
- Grate the cheddar cheese and set aside.
- Take the soaked cashews and broth to a blender and mix well.
- Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter over low heat in a saucepan. Add the onion, green chile, tomato, garlic, turmeric, paprika and cayenne pepper. Cook for 5 minutes until ingredients are dissolved.
- Add the flour, and continue to cook on low for another 2 minutes.
- Add the almond milk mixture, cashew mixture, salt and pepper. Stir. Then add the cheese and let it melt and stir until it becomes the consistency you like.
- If you need to smooth out the cheese sauce you can transfer to the blender for a finishing touch.
- Serve with chips. Enjoy! :O)
For more ways to change unhealthy recipes to healthier versions contact me at Health With Erin. ❤