Our society has focused on a long list of “to-do’s” such as; working, raising kids, cooking, cleaning, but it seems sleep is at the end of that list. Some times we as busy working parents we don’t have time to sleep but others wish they could get more zzz’s. Did you know that 35% of Americans suffer from a period of insomnia in their lifetime? Many people in our culture have a difficult time sleeping. I can honestly say that I have to suffered with bouts of insomnia. I have found a few things that have helped me get more sleep.
5 Ways to Get More Sleep:
- Orange Glasses-I love my orange glasses! I wear these every night starting around 7pm until I go to sleep. Our culture has focused on LED lights, cell phones, computers, and TV for much of our evening. Unfortunately, our bodies are not meant to take in those lights, it keeps our brain active instead of “sleepy”. According to a study, exposure to room light can suppress melatonin, the key component to sleeping. Harvard university conducted their own study and found that blue lighting, such as, computers, TVs, and smart phones can negatively effect our overall health. These studies show that working the night shift being exposed to artificial light can increase your chances of cancer, diabetes, heart disease and many other illnesses. Using these cheap glasses can keep the blue lighting away and give you a better nights sleep.
- Lavender Chamomile Tea-I love drinking my tea before bed! Lavender and chamomile are both very relaxing herbs. A study at UMMC, found that chamomile had certain properties that helped people with anxiety, depression, and insomnia. This super herb can help you get more sleep. Why not try my favorite tea.
- Magnesium Oil-Magnesium is one of the most overlooked minerals in our country. Many people are deficient in this super nutrient. The main reason is our bodies deplete this mineral when we consume processed foods, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, prescriptions, or even stress. Magnesium is responsible for more than 300 chemical reactions in our body including muscle and nerve function, blood glucose control, and blood pressure.
There are many benefits of magnesium but this super mineral can give you a better nights sleep and relaxes your nervous system. by applying this oil to your skin each night you can see great benefits in your overall sleep. Applying magnesium oil directly on my skin helps to fully absorb the mineral. I immediately notice improved sleep, reduced anxiety and stress, and an overall more peaceful feeling. Try it out for yourself.
- Essential Oils–Essential oils are amazing for a host load of ailments but sleep is my favorite. My favorite oils for sleep are lavender, cederwood, and peace and claiming. If you want to learn more about how these oils can help you contact me here.
- Exercise-I’m sure you’ve heard this before but personally I’ve noticed a better nights sleep when I do some form of exercise during the day. According to the sleep foundation, regular exercise can prevent bouts of insomnia, reduce anxiety, prolong sleep, and give you an overall better nights sleep. I like using my rebounder which uses every muscle in your body. It’s easy and you can do it in your own home. Check out the benefits of rebounding HERE.
These are the top 5 things I do to have a better nights sleep. I have noticed when I use all of these together I sleep even better. Sometimes you need to try several things to find what works for you. Hope this helps you improve your sleep.
For more information on living a healthy lifestyle click HERE.