Staying healthy is a top priority for my family and I. When I find something that works I use it often. Here is what I found to help me and my family stay healthy through the cold and flu season.
- Elderberry Syrup: This is a great ancient remedy that has been used for many years. Elderberries in the form of elderberry syrup have been known to boost immunity, decrease mucus, and decrease the typical length of a cold. A typical dose for adults is 1 tablespoon every day and toddlers and children 1 teaspoon a day. If sick, you can take every 2-3 hours for best effect. To learn how to make this super cold and flu syrup click here. Find elderberries here.
2. Ningxia Red: This has really helped increase energy and boost immune system in our home. We typically take 1oz a day to maintain a healthy immune system and if we become sick then we take it more often. Ningxia Red is a super antioxidant drink through an essential oil company called Young Living. If you want more information on this super drink or essential oils. Click here!
3. Homeopathic pills with Zinc: This is great to increase your immune system and to get over a cold much faster. Before we travelled for the holidays we took this once a day and/or if we are around others who are sick I take 1 dose. If we are sick we take it every 4 hours.
4. Thieves Essential Oil: Again, essential oils are definitely used in our home when we are sick or to just prevent an illness. Thieves especially is used for it’s antibacterial, anti fungal, and antiviral benefits. I diffuse this oil day and night (can add lemon to help with strong smell), I ingest (1-2 drops in water or ningxia red-once a day, twice if sick), I put 1-2 Drops on feet once a day but every 2 hours if sick. I also put this on my daughters feet.
5. Raw Garlic Clove: Garlic is one of the most powerful foods you can consume for your overall health. Garlic is known to help cardiovascular health, boosts immune function, and can even prevent cancer.
Garlic in it’s raw form provides the most benefits. When you chop, mince, or crush a garlic clove it takes about 15 minutes for the nutrious enzymes to become potent. I usually do this in advance then take the minced garlic on a spoonful of raw manuku honey (another amazing health benefit). This method is no joke and can be very strong but it works and is amazing for your health. Let me know if you try my garlic clove method. Enjoy!
6. Bone Broth: Bone broth is another staple to maintain our healthy home. I make this homemade broth about twice a month during the winter. I use the broth to make soups more healthy or consume it plain with some yummy seasonings. I have been giving this to my daughter since she was 6 months old. The chicken in the broth brings out a natural amino acid called cysteine, which thins mucus and helps you get over a cold easier. My favorite benefit of bone broth is the healing benefit of our digestive system. Bone broth contains enzymes and minerals to increase healthy gut bacteria, is easily digested, and helps heal the lining of the gut. This super drink is a true staple for every home. Want to learn how to make this. Click here.
7. Cold & Flu Drink: This drink has many health benefits that will shorten a cold or prevent it all together. I drink this once a day when I start to feel something in my throat or head. Fresh Lemon: Is high in vitamin C which is a powerful antioxidant that is known to boost your immune system. Apple Cider Vinegar: Is full of enzymes and good bacteria that help strengthen your gut flora. A healthy gut helps keep you healthy. Raw Honey: Is a good source of antioxidants, has antibacterial and anti-fungal properties, and can soothe a sore throat or cough. To get the recipe click here.
8. Probiotics: A well known doctor thousands of years ago, Hippocrates, said “All disease starts in the gut.” We now know that he was on to an important discovery. I always tell my clients that we need to strengthen our gut flora. Probiotics and fermented foods are the best way to strengthen our gut. I take daily probiotics and I give my daughter some as well. When possible I eat fermented foods like sauerkraut, kombucha, or yogurt.
9. Avoid Sugar & Dairy: This is a hard one for my readers. Sugar depresses our immune system. So they best thing is to avoid it all together when we are sick to prevent prolonging the illness. Dairy increases mucus in our body so when we are congested we want to expel the mucus not create more. Therefore, eliminated dairy during an illness is a great defense against the bug. When my daughter gets a cold I immediately avoid sugar and dairy and increase the above remedies. Stay healthy!
10. Sleep: I know, I know but your body can’t heal if you are not getting enough rest. When you sleep your body produces hormones that help you heal as well as white blood cells that attack viruses and bacteria in your body. So make sure you are getting plenty of sleep to heal.
Thank you for hearing the top 10 ways I stay healthy in the winter. I hope you use some of these tips. Stay healthy! For more information on how to stay healthy go to Health With Erin.