Diet and physical health is important but we must be careful not to neglect our emotional health. When our relationships are tense, when our work schedule is hectic, when our marriage is challenging –life can be overwhelming and stressful.
Emotional health is the cornerstone to an overall healthy life. Anxiety, stress, and fear can all lead to serious health problems. Not to mention feeling like an emotional “tornado” can lead to despair. Focusing on our emotional wellbeing is the start to an overall healthy, happy life.
Eating an amazing diet full of organic greens, healthy fats, and optimal protein is admirable. We can exercise everyday and be in the best physical condition of our lives and still be unhealthy. Keeping a balance in each area of our lives is necessary for optimal health. So, the question is: How do I make sure my emotional health is thriving? One must take 5 basic steps to ensure a life that is full and enriched:
- Take a look at your relationships. Do they encourage you? Challenge you? Make you a better person? The people you interact with should uplift you not bring you down. There may be a relationship that is damaging your life, your heart, your mind, and even your soul. I encourage you to analyze your relationships to see if there is someone in your life that is preventing you from living life to the fullest. You may need to let this friendship go or maybe it just needs some love and tenderness to grow.
- Sleep. Are you getting enough sleep? Are you awake thinking about the next day’s events? Sleep is one of the most critical factors to maintain your overall health. It can strengthen your immune system, calm a restless heart, reduce anxiety, and uplift your overall mood. If you aren’t getting enough sleep it could harm your vital organs and your mind. I encourage you to look at ways to get more sleep. If you are a restless sleeper – Look at your diet and exercise routine, it can help you get a better night’s sleep. Some other great remedies are magnesium oil, turmeric milk before bed, yoga, no lights in the bedroom to stimulate brain activity, essential oils, or mediation and prayer.
- Your career. Do you find fulfillment in your job? Do you wake up invigorated to start your day? Does your job make you happy or bring you down? I know this may seem frustrating for those who are working just to put food on the table. But what you do every day plays a key role in your overall happiness. Perhaps you can find something in your work that gives you fulfillment. Follow your dreams and goals. You are worth it and deserve to be happy in all areas of your life.
- Your heart and mind. Do you have purpose? Do you strive to accomplish your dreams and goals? Do you believe in God? A spiritual relationship can strengthen your heart, your mind, and your soul. If you do not know what your purpose is, then what on earth are you doing? And whom are you doing it for? Yourself? God? Digging deeper into your heart and soul to find what you desire and realize your purpose is so important to an overall emotional wellbeing.
- Your Interests and Hobbies. What is your passion? Does a nice nature walk or hike invigorate you? Maybe it’s reading a book or scrapbooking. Or (this one’s for my husband) playing a game. Ha! It is very easy to become unbalanced while juggling the various areas in our lives. You may put all your energy in your career and feel completely fulfilled in following your dreams but what are you doing for you? Take a much-needed break and enjoy your life.
For one to be truly fulfilled and happy you must have a well-balanced emotional life. The people that you surround yourself with will influence the person you are and play a role in your happiness. Getting a restful night sleep will invigorate your body and soul and help you see clearly what you want in life. You spend much of your time at work – don’t you think it should be a job you respect, love, and one in which you find yourself happy and accomplished? Your life purpose could be the most important aspect to a healthy emotional life. Listen to your heart? Are you really content? A happy life wouldn’t be complete without time to simply decompress and do something for you. It’s time to take my own advice – I think I AM going to get that massage now. How about you?